Using historical data for better demand, capacity, and planning forecasts.
This talk explains how to forecast capacity or delivery dates using a team's historical data. Probabilistic forecasting allows planning to take into account uncertainty and things that might happen (risks) and help communicate those plans to others.
We will cover:
- The goals and practicality of forecasting using data
- Learn when it is safe to forecast using historical data (and when it isn't)
- Learn how to forecast expected future values from data trends
- Learn how to predict how much work will be done by the desired date
- Learn about the most significant system impacts that cause the most impact on delivery plans
By the end of this talk, you will know how to start forecasting and be able to explain to others why it works.
Troy Magennis is a seasoned IT professional and executive, having helped deliver valuable software to customers at scale since 1994. In 2011 he founded Focused Objective, which has become the leader and trusted brand for Agile metrics and probabilistic forecasting. He regularly keynotes at Agile conferences eager to share his passion for using data in better ways to improve business outcomes. Previous clients include Walmart, Microsoft, Skype, Sabre Airline Solutions, Siemens Healthcare.
Troy currently consults and trains organizations wanting to improve decision making for IT through Agile and Lean thinking and tools, applying Scrum and Lean techniques appropriately and where they are going to make this most significant benefit through quantitative rigor.
You can contact him: email@example.com and follow him on twitter: @t_magennis.
- Free spreadsheets and stuff
- Email newsletter
- Monthly AMA call